Thursday, May 23, 2013

You dont know what you are missing

Am I Indian? Am I Dan Lain-Lain (Others)? Am I Malaysian?

I do not know. 

I was told while in school that I am Indian. Then later I was told that I am Dan Lain-Lain.

At least if you are 

1) Malay, you can say I am Malaysian Malay

2) Chinese, you can say I am Malaysian Chinese. 

3) Indian, you can say I am Malaysian Indian. 

It doesn't sound right to say, I am the other Malaysian. Or to keep it in line with the above, I am Malaysian Others. Just doesn't sound right. It sounds cool but it just doesn't sound right. 

I am proud to be Malaysian. I am proud of my mixed parentage Punjabi Chinese. Yes yes, it becomes a notty word when put together. But still proud nonetheless. 

I am sad to see some narrow minded people now harping on the racism card. To me, racism is for the small. It is a tool used by the weak to incite hatred and create chaos among those who have an IQ somewhat lower than that of a thumbtack. 


While Malaysia is peaceful, we will always have racism. Really. Honestly. Take a look around you. You don't even need to take a good careful look. Realise how many tables have a group of people of mixed ethnicity? 

1? 

2 maybe? 

None? 

More likely.  

How do we promote unity? Or are we already united? Or are we united but divided at the same time? 

I have a group of multi-racial friends that I hang out with. It is a really diversified group. There is a Chinese, an Indian (well, while he is mixed, he is still Indian), a Baba (yes! a Baba! How bloody awesome is that?), a Malay (well, technically he is. I shall not argue with the system and put logic aside) and myself...Dan Lain-Lain. I am sure one of you smart asses will have something to say about this. 

While this jolly group of multi-racial clowns hang out all the time and we are all happy-happy, we are still racist. We are. Really. We call each other names. We call each other a different race. We make racist jokes but its ok. We even gang up on each other. But its okay. We can take it. We are matured enough to laugh at each other and at ourselves. 

Today, the Chinese chap was called a yellow tart. His reply was, "Of course lah yellow! I cant be any other colour can I? And its Sexy Yellow Tart ok!" 

Awesome. 

I am blessed to have this group of friends. Together, we make the League of Really Super Heroes. Actually we are everything but heroic. 


Because of them, I learned about other cultures and religion. The debates we have contain view points from different cultures and heritage. It is fulfilling to have these friends. 

If you have never hanged out with a person of a different culture or race or colour or whatever, try it. You do not know what you are missing. You do not know what it is like to be truly Malaysian. 

I want to say thank you to you guys for always being there for me. Putting me down when I feel like I am King of the Damn Universe and making me feel like a King when I am down in the pits. You people are tarts of the highest order but you are family to me as well.

Thank you. 

You know who you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment